Stephanie Land: Why I'm a FEMINIST in 200 words or less

Friday, February 02, 2007

Why I'm a FEMINIST in 200 words or less

I'm busy tonight with the posts, I know, but I can't sleep. My friend Cheryl at the Jordan Times posted this poorly written story on her blog, and it's just infuriating (the story, not the post). My favorite part is this:

Police found the girl almost two weeks ago and handed her over to her parents after undergoing a virginity examination by government physicians, the source said. The examination showed the victim was not involved in any sexual activity, the source added.
A virginity test by government physicians?!? It's bad enough that we live in a world where a father kills his daughter to protect family honor, but that's only compounded by the "virginity examination" administered by the GOVERNMENT!!! The crime itself is almost legitimized by the exam, not to mention the reporter's decision to include the results in her story, as if to say the 17-year-old victim didn't deserve to be shot in the head four times ONLY because her hymen was still intact.

Women's lib Middle East style? Sorry. I think we can ALL do better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home