Stephanie Land: Indecent Proposal

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Indecent Proposal

Taxi driver: Are you German?

Me: No, American.

Taxi driver: Are you married?

Me: No.

Taxi driver: How old are you?

Me: 28.

Taxi driver: I am 46.

(Long pause)

So far this is pretty typical Jordanian taxi driver fare. Come to think of it, I get the marriage bit at home in KY too.

Taxi driver: You know, I have two wives.

Me: (feigning acceptance) Hmmm…

I’m a bright girl, and I can already see where this is going.

(Pause)

Taxi driver: I can have four, did you know? I can marry four.

Me: In Islam? Yes, I know.

(Pause)

Taxi driver: You can be Number Four!

He flashes his most winning smile, which is missing no less than three teeth.

Great. Thanks. I’m probably too old to be Number Three.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home