Stephanie Land: Goodbye Chi

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Goodbye Chi

The title says it all. Sad! I'm out. Moved yesterday. Left my beloved studio on Oakdale in the trustworthy hands of a friend, but still, I'm a sentimental fool and the whole thing makes me sad. I'll miss having the Apple Bite on the corner and the Bobtail icecream shop/soda fountain a block away. I'll miss the rumble of the El and the breeze off the lake and the idea that I'm going to go get samosas at Tahoora on Devon Ave. I never made it to the House of Hookah, land o pillows, argillah and beautiful brown men, but I had the best intentions. I also never made it back to the Angel Food Bakery for Chicago's best hot chocolate. I did go to the Berghoff, though. You thought it closed? So did I. The bar and cafe opened about a month after the restaurant and bar closed. The menu may be a little condensed, but they still offer Weiner Schneitzel, if that tells you anything. Someone said that the "Berghoff is closing" story was the best scam ever. I'm not bitter, though. I was happy to see the sign lit up every day on my way home from the newsroom.

I'm off to D.C. from here. I hope it's as good to me as Chicago has been.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again, Stephanie...

There's a link to this post at The Berghoff Memorial Blog. If you would like it removed, please let me know...

and Happy trails!

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home