Stephanie Land: Peace in the Mideast, Otherwise Known as a Pipe Dream

Monday, April 17, 2006

Peace in the Mideast, Otherwise Known as a Pipe Dream

This is wrong.



But, this is wrong too.


And, this is how our government feels about it. From the same article, "Asked by reporters to confirm that Washington alone had opposed issuing the statement, [U.S. Ambassador John] Bolton responded, 'If I were the only holdout, I'd be proud of that fact.'"

Also, "the Jewish state says it is not intentionally targeting civilians and has warned residents to leave parts of northern Gaza from where militants often launch makeshift rockets." Easier said than done? I don't know. You tell me. The whole of the Gaza Strip is only 139 square miles and has a population of more than 1.4 million. It is an area roughly twice the size of Washington, D.C., with a population of nearly three times that of our nation's capital.

If I sound like I am taking sides, it is not my intention. I am concerned, however, that both sides in this soul-rotting cycle of violence aren't being condemned by the world for their respective roles in the perpetuation of this nightmare.

This is what was accomplished at today's meeting.

In short: Nothing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home