Stephanie Land: Alone and Alive

Monday, April 03, 2006

Alone and Alive

I was up late working on my beat (pharmaceuticals) report for today. I had had three hours of sleep, when I stepped out of my apartment this morning to find the carpet in the hall being shampooed. Despite a conscious effort to be careful, I fell down a set of slippery, concrete stairs for the second time in two weeks (the first time was at the airport upon my return from spring break). This time really hurt, and I had to sit there on the floor for a minute to make sure everything was okay. And then I wanted some sympathy. I wanted someone to ask if I was okay (which I wasn't), but there was no one. The cats don't care, as long as I make it back before they can see the bottom of their food bowl. I had a fleeting impulse to call my mom, but I remembered that I'm twenty-eight, not eight. Instead, I peeled myself from the floor and dragged my ass to the train, in the rain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

That totally sucks. I had a similar experience once. Except it was in a bathroom after having got out of the shower and not suitably dried my feet. The phone rang just as I got out and I slipped trying to reach it on the vanity. Fell hard on my back and tore both rotator cuffs. Couldn't life my arms for weeks. lol That was an amusing one to explain to my work friends.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home