Stephanie Land: Listing and Prophesying

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Listing and Prophesying

Lists and prophecies seem to be the thing at times such as this, so I'll do my part. Last year I tried to remember to write down the books I read as I went, but I may have missed some. In chronological order...

Books I Read in 2005:
1. Amsterdam Ian McEwan
2. Mating by Norman Rush
3. Atonement by Ian McEwan
4. The Painted Drum by Louise Erdrich
5. The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank
6. Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
8. Old School by Tobias Wolff
9. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by Rowling
10. The Saint of Lost Things by Christopher Castellani

Books I Started, but Didn't Finish in 2005:
1. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
2. The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell, Dustin Thomason
3. The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
4. The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst
5. A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris
6. Native Son by Richard Wright
7. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
8. Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
9. Pretty Birds by Scott Simon (this one I'm still reading)

Some I didn't like and put aside after the requisite fifty pages, others I liked but put down (and never picked back up) for one reason or another.

Books I Listened to on CD:
1. Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

This can't be the only one, but it's the only one I can remember. I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to leave it off the year-end list.

2006 Predictions:
1. Pretty Birds by Simon
2. A Kiss From Maddalena by Christopher Castellani
3. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
4. The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
5. Lucky Girls by Nell Freudenberger

I'm late, I realize, but Happy New Year anyway...and happy reading.

4 Comments:

Blogger PV Tweddell said...

But with any list, we want to know which was your favorite book?
Or favorite thing you've read--no doubt Kartoffelsalat?

8:48 PM  
Blogger my_merlin77 said...

Well, I did swing the first two Harry Potters and several psychiatry and medical books. Maybe '06 will be more inspirational for me. Enjoyed seeing you over the holidays, later. Oh, if you want to see the completely and utter nonsense we write about on the blog click my profile and find your way over.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Trent McBride said...

My list is here:

http://catallarchy.net/blog/archives/2006/01/07/2005-the-year-in-books/

12:13 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Vince,

Would you ask a person to choose her favorite child? I cannot and will not pick a fav. from my list. They were all great...in different ways. I think we all know Kartoffelsalat was my favorite overall.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home